Finding the Right Family Law Attorney in Indiana
Finding the right family law attorney for yourself can be difficult. Besides the fact that there are so many options out there, it can be hard to be sure of someone’s dedication and reliability. It is important to feel comfortable with the attorney you hire, and knowing that they are experienced in their practice will also help you feel more comfortable.
There are many reasons to seek out the advice of a family law attorney. A family law attorney can cover everything from child support, child custody, divorce, and more.
Here are some of the more common reasons to seek out a family law attorney:
- You are considering or going through a divorce
- You need to make changes to separation agreements
- You need advice on child custody/the best interest of the child
These are all very personal issues that might be going on in your life. Hiring a lawyer will aid you throughout these difficult legal matters and help make the process as easy on you as possible.
How to Make the Smartest Divorce Attorney Choice
- Figure out your personal needs first.
- If you know you are getting ready for a divorce, start searching for an attorney earlier on. This way, you won’t be frantically searching for someone when you are short on time.
- Ask good friends or family members for recommendations.
- Finding someone that has had personal experience with who they are recommending is always great.
- Ask your attorney questions during your consultation.
- Taking notes is also a good way to make sure you retain everything that you talk about.
The Process of Getting a Divorce
If you are filing for a divorce, typically you should file in the county that either you or your spouse lives in. Indiana is actually a “no-fault” divorce state, where you do not have to show any evidence that either spouse did anything wrong in order to file for divorce.
- Move to file for the divorce.
- The first step is to find a reliable divorce attorney.
- After contacting a lawyer, you can work with them to plan and build a strong case.
- There will be a filing fee that is charged by the court.
- Your case will be assigned to a judge.
- Your assets are usually divided evenly by the court.
It is important to find a divorce attorney that is familiar with all of the unique Indiana statutes to help you finish the case with your desired outcome. Cogswell and Associates, for example, has an experienced team of attorneys that have seen pretty much everything – making them equipped to handle any divorce complications.
Securing professional divorce lawyers to let them handle everything can relieve a lot of your stress. Cody Cogswell, the owner of Cogswell and Associates, has a lot of experience in the practice of family law and is ready to provide whatever help necessary to assist his clients.
The actual process of the divorce can vary slightly depending on the circumstances. For example, if children are a factor, child custody is another thing to address with your attorney.
The Biggest Factors Regarding Child Custody
There are different types of child custody:
- Physical custody
- Legal custody
- Sole custody
- Joint custody
- Shared custody
When determining what type of custody each parent will receive, a court considers a variety of factors. They will consider the age of the kid, the income of each parent, and the current living arrangements of each parent.
A family law child custody lawyer can help you file for custody. While this is the beginning of the legal process, you can also consider mediation (or a judge may require it). This is a way to settle any custody disputes about arrangements outside of the court. The judge may take mediation behavior in when making the final custody decision. Child support lawyers will help you file the legal paperwork and they will also be present for your court hearing.
Sometimes you can look to friends or family members for child custody lawyer suggestions. Cogswell and Associates is a highly recommended firm that is well versed in the practice of family law. It is important to feel comfortable hiring a lawyer after a consultation, and you will definitely feel good about Cogswell and Associates.
The Best Interest of the Children
The best interest of the children is what most courts will base their child custody decision off of. Usually, the goal is for the kids to keep a close and positive relationship with both parents. However, this can be difficult to achieve.
These are some of the factors that are taken into consideration for the child’s best interest:
- The health of both parents.
- The age of the child.
- If the child is old enough, the wishes of the child.
- Any previous legal problems (for example, drug abuse or domestic violence) with either parent.
- Environmental conditions for each parent.
A judge will also consider factors that might cause some type of negative change in the child’s life. Obviously, being an active part of your child’s life also helps. Only in rare family law cases is one adult completely denied the privilege of seeing their kid – one parent is usually given visitation rights if the other parent is given sole physical custody.
Moving can be a tricky thing when dealing with child custody/deciding the best interest of the child. Because moving can be interpreted as intentionally trying to limit visitation access for the other parent, this is a dicey topic. However, if this relocation gives the child access to a superior school/care or something else that promotes their well-being, this can be considered in their best interest.
Whether you are looking for a divorce lawyer, a child support lawyer, or a child custody lawyer, Cogswell and Associates is a great, reliable option. They are always ready to schedule consultations, so give them a call today!